Baked Beans

I just had one of my tweets featured on The Guardian’s Life & Style page, offering my own modest contribution to the otherwise rather unassuming business of cooking baked beans. Let me just say, straight off the bat, I love baked beans and I’m not alone; around 2.3 million tins of those beauties are consumed in Britain each day. Furthermore, it has been shown that the consumption of baked beans can actually lower total cholesterol levels and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Looking back, I would say that up to 90% of my diet as a student was made up of beans and, even after 4 years of solid pulse consumption, I never got bored of them (the other 10% consisting of cigarettes and tea). Along with sausages cooked in tomato sauce, they remain the only food stuff that my father is capable of cooking adequately and, to be fair, it’s all he really needs.

I don’t eat meat anymore, of course, so nowadays I would probably substitute the chorizo with a few courgettes, sautéed with paprika and garlic. Maybe top it with some sliced scallion, or chives. All this talk of beans is making me hungry, I hear they do a cracking good all-day-breakfast at the cafe on the corner of my road.

9 Comments Add yours

  1. I like beans a lot too but mostly pintos.

  2. angloswiss says:

    I am an East End girl originally, a refugee that has been living in Switzerland for the past 47 years. I have been married to Mr. Swiss for 45 years, and guess what he likes beans on toast, and so do my kids, but they have to be Heinz baked beans in tomato. No Swiss make which looks quite aneamic and tastes as such, no the real thing. Although the problem being that a tin of these beans costs about the double in Switzerland, so it is more something special than every day. I noticed this week in the Master Chef programme that one of the budding cooks served a plate of beans on toast and sausages, it was not eaten and the experts seemed to look down their noses at it. Strange tastes these experts have.

    1. I’m with you 100% on the Heinz issue. Any other brand and you might as well not even bother. Whenever I have the will to do so, I like to make a cassoulet, the baked beans’ more upmarket cousin, served on some sour-dough bread, oof, it’s heaven.

    2. Ha ha, I saw that episode of MasterChef and have to agree with the judges on that one. The plate of food he delivered was a bit of a mess. Poor chap, the way they laughed at him.

  3. If you don’t have time for the above, just throw a bit of HP sauce in the pan…

  4. You really can’t go wrong with baked beans! I lived off them as a student too. Thanks for the great tips to spice them up!

  5. Baked beans with your breakfast was just a bit too much for me when I spent time in the UK. I still associate England with baked beans and HP sauce. I was also brought up on the stuff, but not for breakfast and now I can safely say that beans are great, but not out of a tin or on toast or with HP sauce! Ew!

  6. Denise says:

    I quite like looking through an article that can make people think.
    Also, many thanks for permitting me to comment!

  7. Then try T-shirts that carries a message, you believe in. Seeing many people wearing similar shirts is quite
    eye catching. These fruit of loom shirts are available in different
    sizes and styles like oxford full length, short length and sleeve popling shirts for both men and women.

Leave a Reply